Frequently Asked Questions

how do I apply for housing?

Housing Pathways is the way applications for social housing assistance are processed in NSW. It is a partnership between FACS, including the Aboriginal Housing Office, and 25 participating community housing providers.

Housing Pathways provides:

  • a consistent, streamlined way to apply for housing assistance
  • a common assessment process
  • a single waiting list known as the NSW Housing Register.

The Housing Pathways strategy is to create a system with “no wrong doors”. This means that through any Housing Pathways provider – whether that’s FACS Housing or a participating community housing provider – people can find out about all the options available to them for housing assistance, submit or change an application, enquire about its progress or request a transfer. As a result, clients can access a wider range of opportunities and make informed choices from the beginning while the assessment process for housing providers becomes more streamlined and efficient.

Housing Pathways is the central housing register for all community and social housing in New South Wales. Applying or updating your details through Housing Pathways is now easier and simpler. Applicants can choose to make an enquiry, apply or update details; online, by phone or go to any participating community housing provider (like Pacific Link) or social housing provider through their local FACS Housing Office  (Family and Community Services). When you apply, you’ll be asked a series of questions so that we can assess your situation and your needs. We’ll also ask for your Medicare and Centrelink numbers so that we can confirm your identity easily, which will help speed up your application. Please have this information ready when you call.

You can contact Housing Pathways on: 1800 422 322 or

what if i am homeless?

Link2Home can help you if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Link2home is the new, state wide homelessness information and referral telephone service.

It brings together several homelessness telephone services including the Homeless Persons Information Centre (HPIC), Youth Connect and the After Hours Temporary Accommodation (TA) line.

For information, assessment or referral to homelessness services and support in NSW, call Link2home on 1800 152 152.

Link2home is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.

From 9am to 10pm daily, Link2home provides callers with information, assessments and referrals to homelessness support and accommodation services across NSW.

How long will i wait?

The NSW Housing Register is a single list of approved clients waiting for social housing. Clients are listed in order according to their required housing location, their approval category and approval date.

When a social housing provider approves a client for social housing, the provider will place the client on the NSW Housing Register. FACS Housing and community housing organisations will then use this register to identify suitable applicants for their vacant properties, programs and services.

The time that a client will wait on the NSW Housing Register depends on:

  • the number of vacancies
  • the supply of social housing in the area, including the number of social housing providers
  • the number of people waiting for the same type of housing in the same area who have been waiting longer
  • willingness to accept offers of both public and community housing
  • the number of people who have demonstrated a high need to be housed
  • the number of applicants leaving the NSW Housing Register.

Clients may change their preference to an area with a shorter waiting time, or change their provider preference, at any time prior to a housing provider making an offer of housing.

For further information on the expected waiting times please refer to the Pathways Website.

Pacific Link Housing is working hard to increase the number of homes available for community and social housing in our region and is currently investing in a range of projects on its own and in partnership with government and others.

am i eligible for social or community housing?

To be eligible for community or social housing, you must:

  • Be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident
  • Live in New South Wales (NSW)
  • Have a household income within the income-eligibility limits
  • Not own any assets or property that you could live in
  • Be able to sustain a successful tenancy, with or without support
  • In general, be at least 18 years of age.

You will also need to prove your identity and, if you have any debts with a social housing provider from a previous tenancy, you must be making regular repayments. To see if you are eligible for housing assistance go to the Housing Pathways site and check the criteria listed there. 


    In most instances, your rent will be equal to your Commonwealth Rental Assistance plus 25% of your gross income (before tax).  Affordable Housing tenants will pay up to 30% of their income.

      how do i pay my rent?

      There are 5 ways to pay your rent:

      1. If you are on a Centrelink benefit, you can arrange for your payments to come straight from your benefits. We can provide you with the relevant form to give to Centrelink. Some tenants find this method most convenient.
      2. You can pay your rent via the pay my rent link on our website.
      3. We can give you a deposit book and personal ID Card to deposit your rent fortnightly at the Commonwealth Bank. You can arrange to do this in person or online by setting up a Third Party Transfer. Ask us if you are thinking of doing this. You’ll need our BSB code and Account Number. Don’t forget to use your ID number.
      4. You can send us a cheque or money order from the post office for each payment.
      5. You can come in and pay your rent by cheque at the office (we don’t accept cash)
      how much will my bond be?

      When you sign the lease you will have to pay a Bond – normally equivalent to four (4) weeks subsidised rent or $600.00, whichever is the greatest.  The Bond is immediately lodged with the Department of Fair Trading. If you look after the property and don’t cause any damage you will get the Bond back when you leave the property.

        How do I request repairs?

        If maintenance or repairs to your property are required at any time during your stay , you must notify Pacific Link immediately.   

        For emergency assistance please call Emergency Services on TRIPLE ZERO (000).


        Always report problems to Pacific Link for authorised attention.

        ONLY Pacific Link’s authorised contractors can carry out repairs. Pacific Link Housing provides licensed trades to ensure all maintenance and repairs are safe and completed to approved standards.

        ALWAYS contact Pacific Link directly (not the contractor) to attend to maintenance or repairs unless you can pay the associated costs.  Pacific Link cannot pay for unauthorised services arranged by tenants.

        ALWAYS  receive written approval from Pacific Link for your property before starting any home improvement projects. You will have to pay to fix (return to original state) any changes you make within the home without approval.

        REMEMBER you are responsible for any damage to the property caused by family, friends, visitors, pets, accidents, actions or failures to protect, clean and maintain the property during your tenancy and you will have to pay the cost of fixing any damage.

        For Emergency Repairs

        For emergency repairs outside business hours, call our office number on 02 4324 7617

        Please note that this service is reserved for major service failures such as a burst water pipe or gas leak that occurs outside normal business hours.  The inappropriate use of this service for general maintenance and repairs may result in you being charged for call out fees and services.

        General Maintenance

        To report problems and request general maintenance or repairs, you can either:

          what other support do you provide?

          Pacific Link Housing also works as a referral service to help people in need connect with a range of additional services and service providers that may be of assistance. Please see our ‘useful support services’ page or contact us if you need help to access services such as:

            • Emergency accommodation
            • Aged care
            • Mental health
            • Disability services
            • Family support
            • Financial counseling
            • General counseling
            • Youth support
            • Women’s service
            what can i do about a dispute with my neighbour?
            If you have a disagreement with a neighbour that you just can’t settle, it may be best to get some help. Community Justice Centres have trained mediators who can help solve problems quickly and fairly.


            what happens during the eviction process?

            If you have breached your tenancy agreement, you will be advised in writing and given every opportunity and assistance to rectify the problem. If we need to proceed with termination and repossess the premises, the legal process laid down by the Residential Tenancy Act will be followed.

            We will refer you to the Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Service or other advocates as may be appropriate. You will be advised to attend any Tribunal Hearings to attempt conciliation. Attempts to resolve the issues will continue until the NCAT (NSW Civil and Administration Tribunal) ruling is made. Once the NCAT has made its decision, no further negotiations will be entered into.

            If you refuse to leave the property, the Sheriff will be required to take possession of the property.